Paleo Breakfast Ideas
If you’re trying the 30 Day Challenge or if you just simply want to eat better, breakfast is a great place to start. I used to eat a fairly “typical” breakfast, but I can absolutely say I go through the day feeling better with more energy when I keep it Paleo-based.
Typical breakfasts include orange juice, cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, and even venture out to bagels, pancakes, and donuts. Many of these foods are loaded with sugar or gluten, both of which can hurt you short- and long-term. But, what else is there to eat in the AM? I wondered the same thing when I first changed my diet, but I’ve come to love the options.
Some ideas for Paleo breakfast foods:
- Smoothies – so many possible combinations here, it’s mindblowing. Here’s a great eBook with 70 fantastic ideas. Here are some samples:
- Omelets – I used to never like eggs, but I’ve really come to enjoy them as of late. It helps that we’re buying them directly from the farm or are getting the good, cage-free, Omega 3 eggs from the grocery store. The better eggs truly taste better. But the omelet is such an easy and awesome vehicle to get a bunch of morning fat and veggies! Make it in coconut oil, mix in some green peppers, tomatoes, onion, spinach, bacon and/or sausage and then sometimes top with salsa – what a meal!
- Bacon – It takes on legendary status in the Paleo community, but if you get the right kind (no nitrates), it’s the perfect source of quality fat for your diet. Sometimes I’ll have a fruit-based smoothie and a few pieces of bacon for breakfast.
- Another tid-bit: you can microwave bacon and it’s quick and much less messy! Put a paper plate in the microwave, then a few paper towels, then the bacon laid separately and flat, then a few more paper towels. Microwave for 3 minutes (give or take) and viola!
- Eggs – I usually lean towards an omelet, but any kind of eggs in the morning make me feel incredible. I really do have my best days after eating eggs!
- Fruit and nut butter – This makes a great midday snack, but it can easily be breakfast too. An apple or banana with almond butter are my favorites.
- Berries and coconut milk – Another great snack / breakfast meal because the berries (straw, blue, black, rasp) are super nutritious (very susceptible to pesticides, so you should try to go organic) and the coconut milk makes it almost like yogurt. Don’t confuse the coconut milk with the watered down one in the carton. This coconut milk is in a can and can be found in the Asian section of the grocery store. Our favorite is Thai Kitchen.
- Leftovers – not very sexy, but if you have leftovers from good Paleo meals, there’s nothing wrong with steak or a burger or veggies for breakfast.
What do you think? Do you have any other breakfast meals you’ve enjoyed? I’d love to hear!