Answer: The guy can!
It seems like most guys gain weight along with their wives during pregnancy, but somehow I reversed that trend. I’ve been asked how I did it, so I’ll do my best to detail it here. Honestly, I don’t think one single thing did it, but I have some ideas. First off, here are some basic premises I have focused on in the past year (not necessarily in any order):
- An adult stomach is the size of your fist
- Breakfast is the most important meal
- Eat more protein and less carbs
- Work out even if only for a few minutes
So here are some of the things I changed about my lifestyle to adapt to those premises
- Eat less! This has to be one of the biggest changes I made. I absolutely love food and used to stuff myself at lunch and dinner. I’d get done eating and just feel sick for an hour. Next time you load up your plate or get seconds, check out my #1 point above. You’re obviously overeating
- Eat s-l-o-w-e-r. Let your body catch up to what you’ve eaten. Often times you’ll fill up on less than you’d think when you don’t scarf it down. Same goes with dessert! Try to enjoy every bite and you’ll eat less
- Eating less allows you to snack more too. Of course it’s ideal to snack on healthy stuff!
- I’ve heard the ideal amount of meat per meal is about the size of a deck of cards
- Tweak what you eat. No one can drastically change their diet and expect to stick with it. I already leaned towards the low fat versions of foods (which often taste just as good, if not better, than the original), but I’ve now tried to adapt more to #2.
- I love bread with every meal, but now I eat about half as much as I used to
- Breakfast – I still enjoy cereal or waffles on occasion, but just not as often. Also, to comply with #3 I incorporate nuts into my meals: peanut butter on toast (w/banana), mixed nuts as a snack, walnuts on waffles, pecans on salad
- Drink less sugary drinks! I’ve never been a big fan of pop, but I do like Lemonade and Kool-Aid. So, now with meals I won’t have a full glass of those drinks (or more if I’m eating out!), instead I’ll have a half glass
- Drinking more water can never be understated. Everyone knows they should be doing it. Another benefit is that it fills you up between meals
- Fit in a workout! Even if you’re on the elliptical/stationary bike/treadmill for only 10 minutes or you go for a short walk, it’s better than nothing. Also, it’s really easy to fit in a few sets of pushups, situps, or stretching while you’re sitting around the house. It all adds up!
- Become more disciplined in your life overall. I swear ever since I’ve gotten hooked on Dave Ramsey I feel like losing weight has been easier. When you become disciplined in one area of your life (eg. money), other areas seem to fall into place. Plus, when you’re trying to save money, you don’t buy as much food or go out to eat as often!
To reiterate, I can’t say what works for sure, but I feel all of these thoughts have contributed to me getting back into shape! Please don’t hesitate to leave a question or comment here on the blog or send it to me directly. Good luck!