Lately I’ve seen a lot of people wondering about Twitter on their Facebook profiles. My first experience with Twitter last year didn’t impress me much, but the more I’ve used it lately, the more I like it. Since bullet points are such a hit on blogs, I’ll try to keep your focus…
What is twitter?
- Twitter is “microblogging” limited to 140 characters per post
- People are “followed” just as they’re “friend”ed on facebook
- “Follow”ing is one-way: I follow Shaq, but he doesn’t have to follow me
- Message someone by preceding their name with “@”
- the message is understood to be intended for that person
- still a public post that everyone can see
- e.g. tweet: “@jimgaffigan you’re a riot!”
- Directly message someone so no one else can read it (like an e-mail)
- e.g. tweet: “d @RyanSeacrest out!”
- Short URLs are common b/c most web site addresses > 140 chars
- e.g. http://bit.ly/SbqE8
- Any tweet can be starred and will be saved under your Favorites link
- You like someones tweet, so you “retweet” it by preceding it with “RT”
- your followers will see it
- give credit to the original author
- e.g. I tweeted: “RT @DaveHatter: “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails” – John Maxwell”
- Include a “#” before a term to label it under that “topic”
- good for grouping tweets allowing for better searches
- e.g. @espndev tweeted: “Nevertheless; The #Bengals Will Win The Super Bowl!”
- Twitter Search – great way to find out what’s going on
Plus, I think it’s not just the “tweet”ing that’s fun, it’s the 3rd party applications that interact with it which are neat too.
Third Party Application examples:
- WeFollow - organizes the most popular users into categories
- Cursebird - real-time feed of people cursing on Twitter (hilarious!)
- TweetDeck – most popular desktop app for Twitter (+Facebook)
- Twitter Fan Wiki – a pretty thorough list of apps
My suggestions for getting your tweet on:
- Just try it out!
- This is very public, so don’t post anything you’ll regret!
- Start slowly – following a ton of people may overwhelm or annoy you!
- Try it mobile – I use and really enjoy the free iPhone app TwitterFon
- Tweet cool places, foods, facts, etc and not your boring, daily activities
- Follow me and let me know what you think!